Mexican cooking with Rarotonga takes us this time to a taco dish with specially marinated pork with achiote and other ingredients, that make basically the recipe for the famous Tacos de Cochinita Pibil.
What's exciting is, that here we use both fruity ingredients, such as oranges, and a combination of guajillo chilies accompanied by several other spices.
As usual, Rarotonga explains how you can do everything yourself step by step. It is up to you whether you cook the recipe alone after the video linked here or also go through the recipe text to read below. Many thanks to the YouTube Channel, that we may show also the video here.
Now follows the recipe in text form for the refined Mexican dish of Tacos Cochinita Pibil with marinated Pork.
- 4 Guajillo chili pods
- 1,7 kg Pork (Neck)
- 10g Achiote
- 3 Juicy oranges
- 2 Tomatos
- 1 Onion
- 2 Garlic cloves
- 1/4 tea spoons Cumin
- 2cl Apple cider vinegar
- 2 Grains of black pepper
- 2 coarse peppercorns
- Salsa Mango Habanero
- 1 Pack of banana leaves (e.g. to buy in Asia markets)
- 6 Red onions
- 3 Habanero chili pods (fresh)
- 10-18 Limes
- Corn tortillas to eat the mixture
- Cutting board
- Pan, at best Comal or tortilla pan
- Various containers
- Cooking spoon
- Stand blender
- Casserole dish
- Lime squeezer
- Plates for serving
Ingredients for garnish and side dishes
- In lime juice (10-18 limes) pickled rote onions (about 6 pieces) and habanero chili peppers (about 3x), can be served alongside.
- For this onions cut into strips and store in a container
- Keep children away from work area in advance. Remove the seeds from the habanero chili peppers (important because the seeds are very hot), then chop finely and add to the onions. Recommendation Wear gloves and be careful not to get your hands in your eyes. Wash hands well after preparation.
- Squeeze lime juice over habanero-onion mixture, add salt and mix. Then let sit for at least 16 hours. The onions turn pink.
Preparation of the Tacos de Cochinita Pibil
Boil the guajillo chile and tomatoes to soften them and let them cool. Then put them in a stand mixer with the onion, garlic, spices, achiote, vinegar, juice of the oranges and salt and puree.
Pour the mixture over the pork cut into pieces. Spread the salsa well over each surface of the meat, then cover with foil and refrigerate for at least 24 hours to soak in.
Now follow the steps under the heading "Ingredients to garnish for side dishes". Please note the safety instructions because of the spicyness.
Warm Banana leaves from both sides. Do not allow to burn. Line a baking dish with the leaves, the leaves should stick out enough to fold over the dish later. Place the pickled meat with the salsa in the lined baking dish. Then fold the leaves over to cover.
Put the mold with the meat in a well preheated oven at 180 degrees. Let bake for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. (Rule of thumb: leave in the oven for about 1 hour per kilo of meat. If you are making a larger quantity).
The meat is shredded after the oven. You heat the tortillas - recommendation: organic tortillas from Masamor in a flat pan on both sides.
Place enough meat and the onion mixture on the warmed tortillas and add a chili salsa drop by drop to taste. For example, the mango habanero salsa mentioned above.
Rarotonga, as always thank you for the video and the recipe for which you have put a lot of effort, we wish you more subscribers on your YouTube Channel (Link) or more Followers on your Instagram Account (Link), so that you create many more videos.
Do you like the recipe? Then write a comment below this article!
Back to MexicoMiAmor.de Mexican food and culture blog