Later we will present a recipe for sweet tamales.
So check our blog again or subscribe to our newsletter!
For the dough
- 500gr. Maseca Tamal oder Maseca Original Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250 grams of lard or vegetable fat
- 3 cups chicken broth For the filling
- 250 gr. Chicken breast
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3/4 onion
- 1 teaspoon Terana Epozote
- ca. 400 g green Carey Tomatillos (green tomatoes)
- 2 jalapeño- or serrano-pepper pods
- salt and pepper as you like
...and last but not least: Tamal Corn Husks
1. put the chicken breast in a pot with water, half an onion, two cloves of garlic and salt. Cook for 20-25 minutes over medium heat.
2. take out the chicken and let it cool down.
3. opens and empty our Tomatillo Verde Carey.
4. strain the broth and keep it, as we will use it to prepare the dough and sauce the filling.
5. once the chicken breast has cooled, mince the meat. This can be done by hand or with the help of two forks, or even with a stick blender, so that the meat strands are very fine.
6. put the Tomatillo Verde Carey and the chili peppers in the blender. Add a little salt and pepper and half a cup of our chicken broth.
7. mix and put in a frying pan or pot with previously heated oil.
8. Add the Terana-Epazote ingredient and let it boil together (about 20 minutes), before you add the chicken.
9. for our dough we give the flour of Maseca Original. or Maseca Tamal in a large bowl where we have space to knead. Add the salt and baking powder. Mix the dry ingredients well.
10. in another bowl put 2 cups of hot chicken broth, melt the lard in it.
11. mix the dry ingredients with the liquid mixture and stir well. Add more broth as needed, the dough should not be too watery. Kneading time is about 20 minutes.
12. Soak the Corn Husks in warm water for about 10 minutes.
13. after ten minutes we will assemble our tamal. We take our corn leaves and put about two spoons of dough on it, spread it on the leaf and then put the filling on it. Close and fold it backwards so that it does not open.
14. we place the tamales, folded side down, in our steamer or express pot.
15. cooking time for the tamales in the pressure cooker is 30 minutes and in the steamer at least 2 hours.
The best part about making tamales at home is that you can decide for yourself what fillings to use and how much to put in the tamales. 😊
Did you like the recipe? Then feel free to leave us a comment.
Back to MexicoMiAmor.de Mexican food and culture blog